The District is a tax-supported non-profit organization established to serve the students and youth residing within the boundaries of the District. The Texas Constitution prohibits school districts from spending district resources to serve non-school purposes. Arguably, charging no fees at all constitutes an improper “gift of public funds” if the district is spending resources to keep its doors open for non-school use. At a minimum we should be recovering the tax dollars spent when we open our facilities beyond school hours and to outside organizations.
The District may, therefore, differentiate among various categories of organizations and/or groups (such as youth groups, adult groups, non-profit organizations, for-profit organizations, and civic groups) in establishing the length of time that a facility may be used or the fee charged. All organizations and/or groups within the same category shall be offered fair and equal access to District facilities. Per Board Policy GKD (Local), the District should charge a fee for community use.
Rental requests are considered on a *first-come, first-served basis. Requests must be received at least twenty-one (21) District business days prior to the event. Academic, extracurricular and other school-related activities will have priority when any use is scheduled. Contracted non-school use may be canceled if an unexpected conflict arises with a District activity.
Facilities Use Request Workflow
Facilities Use Request Workflow in text:
- Requestor submits the completed Facility Request Form
- Facility coordinator determines availability
- If the facility coordinator denies the request then the facility coordinator notifies the requestor. End of process.
- If the facility coordinator approves the request, the facility coordinator enters the event information into SchoolDude Facility Scheduling Direct,
- The facility coordinator sends Request Form to Energy Management
- Energy Management review CKD to determine fee schedule for organization
- Energy Management provides quote to requestor
- Energy Management prepares contract for requestor
- Requestor completes and returns contract
- Campus assigns a site facilitator and other personnel for the event
- Energy Management prepares invoice and submits to accounting
- Accounting invoices requestor. End of process.